Skip to main content

The Heat is on to Finish My Book!

It's August, and the heat is on, in more ways than one. I'm outside every morning in the early morning hours taking long walks with Buster, my miniature pinscher. Then, I sit in the shade for about an hour afterward and watch Buster enjoy the great outdoors. I'm just not into the sun and heat like I used to be.

Buster, who likes the sun more than I do.
Strangely enough, though I've been avoiding the sun, it's still catching up with me. My arms sport a decent suntan, which is even more apparent when I take off my watch.

While inside, I've been wasting too much time on mundane things, like housework. Then I tell myself I'll spend only half an hour on Facebook, and it turns out to be way past an hour. I need to get out my kitchen timer and put it right by my desk and stop fooling around when it goes off.

Tentative cover for Awake, A Good Twin, Bad Twin Thriller
I must get Awake, my good twin,bad twin thriller, finished. So far, progress is eking along. That's not enough. It should have been finished years ago, when I started and abandoned it in favor of another.

To make matters worse, another voice keeps whispering for me to write another, far different book, a non-fiction one about dogs. I've succumbed to that kind of temptation before, so I must resist now. I know from experience it's more fun starting a book, when inspiration runs high. Not as much fun getting down to the nitty gritty and actually finishing it. Right now, I actually have to think out some plot twists, incorporate them, and polish up what's already done. Once all that has been accomplished, I can type "The End," and send Awake out to some beta readers.

So, right now, the heat is on to finish my book. What about you? Do you sometimes share my difficulties?


Experience Morgan Mandel's diversity and versatility. Check Out Her Standalone Romantic Comedy,  Girl of My Dreams, the romantic comedy series, Her Handyman, and A Perfect Angel. For Mystery/Suspense, try Killer Career or Two Wrongs. For the small town of Deerview series: Hailey's Chance: Will Baby Make 3? and Christmas   Carol.Websites:Morgan Mandel.Com Morgan Does Chick Lit.ComTwitter:@MorganMandel

Comments

  1. I'm in the same place, Morgan. I've fiddled around with this current wip for way too long, even changed the working title three times, and must finish! I also walk with and play with the dog, spend down time petting the cat, even do housecleaning. Time to FOCUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for Buster, because winter is so cold and snowy, so I spoil him too much outside in the mornings, then play catch up with everything else the rest of the day.

      Delete
  2. As my teenage daughter would express it, I feel ya! I actually finished the novel I have been working on this year, but then had second thoughts about the denouement. So I dumped my profoundly moving tragic ending to try for something less final. Now I am stuck, unhappy with my first finish and unable to finish the other. Weeks of wheel-spinning and screen-staring and I am still "almost done." The doldrums of August, indeed.

    --Larry Constantine (pen name, Lior Samson)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main problem is I have to figure out a genius plot toward the end, but so far I don't feel like a genius. lol

      Delete
  3. I think most writers can relate to letting distractions get in the way of finishing a book. And many of us have dogs and cats that are happy to help. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And today, the distractions were Fitness Class, then buying a microwave because our 20 year microwave needed to be replaced.

      Delete
  4. I do. Right this minute as a matter of fact. Put that computer down. Pick up that pen. Let's both get to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't read my writing. I'll have to type instead. lol

      Delete
  5. Other than a blog for the Blood Red Pencil, I haven't written a word since before my knee surgery. I'm not sure if I'm not interested in the book or not interested in writing right now. Probably a little of both. It's the longest period of ambivalence I've had since I started writing. I'm kind of worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of the problem is the weather and spoiling Buster. When it's winter, both of us will want to stay indoors more.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it takes a little heat to get me in gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like some kind of incentive, like a deadline!

      Delete
  7. I have earned more than one A+ in procrastination, no matter what name I attach to my lack of progress. But I now understand what must be done: get a dog! Seriously, I often experience the exact problem you discuss, so thank you for the appropriate kick in the posterior. Time to shift from neutral into forward gear. Great post, Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Linda. Yes, if you get a dog, you can blame it on the dog. lol

      Delete
  8. The heat is making all of us veer from the beaten path this summer. The projects that had strict deadlines got done; everything else fell in the "not today" category!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm trying to get the necessary stuff done, and the time just flies by!

      Delete
  9. I know how you feel. Sometimes I find myself thinking up three different endings and not one of them feels right, so then I really need to do something else--cleaning, errands, anything to get away from the frustration. August has a different feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, I'm in a different boat here, but also heading for a reef. I finished a book about three weeks ago and trotted it across the street to my beta readers, came back to my office, and thought of the way I wanted the next book in my Subbing isn't for Sissies series to begin. So, working without a net (an outline or index cards) I've been blithely writing away and finding myself resenting that fact that the other book will soon come home to roost filled with corrections and comments. Where's that twin when you need her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to stop writing when you've actually got momentum going. It's also hard to stop writing and do some marketing. It seems there's never enough time to get it all done.

      Delete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook