Skip to main content

Writing in 140: Resurrecting Your Old Books



Sometimes, books die.

They die because authors fail to promote them properly, or they don’t promote them long enough for the books to gain traction, and ultimately, more sales. Sometimes, they die because they are not the next book. As authors move on to their next story and the promotion behind that book before, during, and after publication, they may think their older works can do well on their own.

And that’s not true.

If you have older works, perform a promotional inventory. Brainstorm two questions: 1) what have you done in the past to promote older works? and 2) what can you do NOW to re-introduce these books to new readers?

Books don't die. There is always a new reader to introduce them to.


How do you continue to resurrect your older works to new readers?

-----
Writing in 140 is my attempt to say something somewhat relevant about writing in 140 words or less.

Creative Passionista Shon Bacon is an author, editor, and educator whose biggest joys are writing and helping others develop their craft. She has published both creatively and academically and interviews women writers on her popular blog ChickLitGurrl: high on LATTES & WRITING. You can learn more about Shon's writings at her author website, and you can get information about her editorial services at CLG Entertainment.

Comments

  1. I haven't been writing long enough to have much "old" stuff, but I did just get the rights back to 5 short romances. I bundled them into one book and put them up for sale as "Second Chance Rose and Other Stories," a single volume collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a great idea for a remixed collection, Terry!

      Delete
  2. Looking back, it's hard believe it has been seven years since my first book was published. They've done okay, but I was never passionate about promotion. I suppose it is never too late to relaunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late, Diana. There is always someone who hasn't read your work before who would love it.

      Delete
  3. I've recently revisited and re-edited my first book. Dressed in a stunning new cover, it will be reissued in a few weeks and, THIS TIME, will be promoted. (I now have others to do it for me because marketing is not one of my strengths.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Terry's idea. I have a couple of erotic romances written under a pseudonym that I plan to retrieve the rights. Then I think I'll do something similar and box them--after a little individual time to get the most out of each one. No getting away from the fact that I hate to promo though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook