Skip to main content

Coming in February

By Dani Greer, Founding Member

We haven't begun to touch on the many awards for writers, and how one can use them to promote books. There are the big awards, like the Pulitzer and Man Booker prizes, genre awards like the Cybils and the Hugo award, and hundreds of awards for children's books. But the month is over, and hopefully we've given you some ideas and incentives. Check out the awards you might qualify for at this Wikipedia list, and do some research. Think about submitting your newest title for at least one book award this year!

In February, we'll talk about things we love in the writing world. We had fun with this theme last year. I love what's happening in e-books with all the opportunities for authors to self-publish, getting old rights back and issuing titles to download for nominal fees, and even offering freebies so readers can try an author's writing style without a huge investment. As far as I'm concerned, it's a win/win situation for everyone.

What about you? Have you added an e-reader to your life? What kind? What's the best e-book you've read this year? Are your own books available as e-books? Offered any great deals lately? My Nook is ready and waiting for its next acquisition! Do leave us suggestions in the comments.

Bookmark and Share

Comments

  1. I received a Kindle for Xmas, and my first download was Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (one of his earlier Diskworld books). Very funny and definitely recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it sure would be nice to have one of them new fangled machines (hint, hint).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool way to create an appetite for the banquet of great posts to come next month!

    I'm a bit of a dinosaur, so I haven't ventured outside my comfort zone of books I can hold in my hand, feel the paper, and store on my shelf — aka, I haven't yet learned to love the technical stuff. An occasional thought of a Kindle flutters through my mind, but it hasn't stopped long enough to become a serious consideration. Maybe this year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And of course there are awards for unpublished authors, too, like the Bellwether Prize Barbara Kingsolver founded to promote literature for social change, whose biennial prize is $25,000 plus publication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, went with a plain ole Kindle pre-Christmas. And I love it. Unfortunately, most of the self-pubbed books (about three dozen) I downloaded were awful, couldn't even get through the first few chapters. I am having an extreme amount of fun with a lot of the classics. I am reading DRACULA now. Excellent. And it was free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, don't let it deter you. You just have to get recommendations and connect with authors you know. For example, LJ Sellers regularly offers a title for free for a few days. Right now, Poisoned Pen Press has .99 e-books on a promo page at their website so you can try some of their mysteries - and they are topnotch. If it's a PPP book, you won't have complaints... well, at least not about writing quality. Some people confused that with not liking the plot or the characters. I have the complete Agatha Christie collection for free. I know Maryann here at the BRP also has freebies now and again. I'll let her jump in and promote herself. And, Kathryn, yes on the Bellwether - we need to revisit this theme again. There are so many prizes - we didn't even touch on the state awards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, you are so right about the quality of so many of the self-pubbed books. I downloaded a bunch of freebies and low-priced books this month and have only found one or two treasures among the many. So sad, and that does reflect badly on all indie writers.

    Thanks for the plug, Dani. I do have a freebie today. My YA novel, Friends Forever, is free - http://www.amazon.com/Friends-Forever-ebook/dp/B004FGLO2S/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

    I also have other titles at low prices, as do many other authors who have quality work: Bob Sanchez, Morgan Mandel, Terry Odell, Scott Nicholson, and Alex J. Cavanaugh - just to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some great free books on Pixel of Ink. They have Facebook and a website, but I subscribe to their daily e-mail so I don't miss anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my kindles. I have a k3 and also a kindle touch from points attained through using my Amazon Visa card whenever I can and paying the balance off each month.

    All of my novels are available on every ereader out there - as far as I know.

    The new thriller, Forever Young: Blessing or Curse, and my romantic suspense, Killer Career, are on all ereaders and also in print under my own brand through Amazon.
    I'm trying to cover all the bases.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook