Skip to main content

Russian Roulette by Austin S. Camacho - Recommended by Morgan Mandel


Austin S. Camacho was kind enough to forward a PDF version of his recent mystery, Russian Roulette, to me.

I'd never read a Hannibal Jones mystery before, and wasn't sure what to expect. Whenever I read a book, I need to connect on some level with the main character or I won't want to finish it.

Could a white, 5'4" female who steers clear of caffeine and on sunny days pulls a cap over her forehead relate to a 6' tall African American male, who seems addicted to coffee and Oakley sunglasses?

That was the challenge. Somehow Austin had to convince me that superficialities didn't matter.

As I got into the story, I came to admire Hannibal. I saw him as a likeable, unselfish guy possessing not only a proficiency at martial arts, but also a knack for adapting to pressure situations. I also liked his sense of loyalty not only to his beloved Cindy, but also his neighborhood.

I can't imagine how I'd react if I a Russian assassin camped out in my home and threatened to harm a loved one if I didn't follow orders. That is only one of the situations Hannibal faces. Other antagonists turn his situation more deadly. Though under emotional duress, he somehow manages to keep a clear head through it all.
As the plot wends its way, suspects appear and disappear. Every time one of them seems to be the culprit, that person ends up dead.

Austin kept me guessing right up to the final standoff. If you like solving puzzles, you won't want to miss this one.

Russian Roulette is a great standalone mystery. You don't have to start from the beginning of the series to enjoy this one, but after reading it you just might want to do so.

Austin S. Camacho's website: http://www.ascamacho.com/
ISBN# 978-0979478840
Publisher: Intrigue Publishing


Amazon Buy Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Roulette-Austin-S-Camacho/dp/0979478847/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239242373&sr=1-6
Presently priced there at $11.66, Kindle @6.95
------------------------------------------------------
Morgan Mandel

The Midwest Book Review gave
Morgan Mandel's recent release,
Killer Career, 5 stars. For more
about Morgan, check out:
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com/
http://www.morganmandel.com/
http://choiceonepublishing.com/

Bookmark and Share

Comments

  1. I like that you went in with a tad of skepticism, but ended up being won over.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review of another good book. Like Helen, I am impressed that you were won over. Makes your recommendation that much stronger. Problem is, I keep finding more and more books I want for myself. Forget about buying them for gifts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Austin Camacho's Hannibal series and didn't realize a new book was out. Thanks so much, Morgan, for letting us know.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your kind words, Morgan. So glad you liked Russian Roulette, especially after I enjoyed Killer Career so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook